Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Spicy Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup

This recipe started of being a Curry, I was going to add all sorts of veg but I'm a bit of a picker when I cook, and yes pickers do wear bigger nickers but at the moment mine are only a size ten so I'm alright, When I tasted the mixture of lentils, spices and sweet potato I was quite impressed, so decided to make it a soup and happy I did as my very carnivorous husband came home from work and had a taste and loved it, this will be going down as one to make that we can eat together.

 I'll fill you in my hubby has a farming background and not in a million years will he ever give up red meat but that's fine cause he likes what I cook I just add a bit of meat to his plate, like I do with the kids I'm not one to force my very young children to any opinion about going vegan or vegan with fish, I just try and teach them a healthy way of eating and when there old enough they can make their own decision.

Serves 4 Starters
          or
Serves 2 Mains

* 1 Small Onion
* 2 Cloves Crushed Garlic
* 2 Tbs Water
* 1 Tbs Cumin
* 1/2 Tsp Chili Powder
* 1/2 Tsp Mixed Herbs
* 1 Medium Sweet Potato
* 200g Dried Red Lentils (rinsed)
* 3 Cups Veg Stock
* 1 Cup Hot Water
* 1/4 Cup Soy Milk

In a Medium non stick fry pan put 2 Tbs water, chopped onion, garlic and spices and fry until onion is clear.

Add chopped sweet potato, rinsed lentils, veg stock and hot water cook for 25 minutes or until lentils are tender, if to thick add more water.

Just before you serve mix in soy milk and heat through for a further five minutes.

Serve and enjoy with bread.

1 comment:

  1. I've just looked at this picture and it really does the soup no justice this soup is even good cold it really nice just wish I had more left overs because it's even better the next day x

    ReplyDelete